Welcome to "Oregon's Big Country"-Harney County
With awe inspiring, incredible natural beauty and an enormous landscape as diverse as those that live here, there are innumerable things to do in Harney County. Including world-class art and artists, unmatched wildlife, and an outstanding agricultural industry as well as others Harney County is Oregon's Big Country. Come and Enjoy....
Here are 10 great suggestions for “things to do” in Harney County. Seasonal conditions may affect some of these suggestions. Refer to the Business Directory or contact the Harney County Chamber of Commerce for more information.
- Tour local art studios and galleries
- Take in a Chamber Music Society Concert
- Peruse the Harney County Historical Society Museum
- Visit the Malhuer Wildlife Refuge
- Bird watch, Harney County Bird List
- Results from the 2010 John Scharff Migratory Bird Festival: Overall numbers seemed low but diversity was still good. We had 100 spp just on the Friday tour Birding Sunrise to Sunset. Black Phoebe was the best bird Sat and Sunday at the Hwy 78 fish ponds, followed by the Horned Grebe at the same ponds (but the larger pd).
- Take the self guided historical tour of Downtown
- Take the self guided auto tour of the Malhuer Refuge
- Visit the historic Round Barn and Long Barn of Pete French
- Tour Steens Mountain
- Enjoy the frequent merchant events in Downtown Burns
- Calendar of Events! A wide variety of events are scheduled throughout the year. Check back frequently for new activities..
More information on area attractions: